My work day is now lost in the software life-cycle. By this, I mean my time is consumed by the procedures and the tracking of same. The actual time I spend on development or support that is delivering code is now down to about a maximum of two hours a day.
The remainder of the time is lost in a bad tracking system, following and documenting aspects of the procedure, or wading through bad code in an attempt to understand it. The issue is how to overcome these problems and spend more time on actually delivering code.
Many of these problems are arising because there are so many roles in the IT group that only have a tangential interest in developing software, and they need reasons to justify there existence. These reasons claim part of the developer's time. Each has a small claim for existence. However, by forgetting the reason for the development, we allow these claims to become much larger than they need to be.
This for now is the frustration of my day. So often, I ask myself if I have achieved anything. The answer is really - no. But I keep the monkey's off of my back because the paper trail is met and on time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment